Thursday, September 2, 2010

Settling In

I am loving my new apartment! :)

Our apartment (I share with 3 suitemates) is in a brand new building built by the Washington Center. We are the 2nd batch of students living here, so everything is in amazing condition. We live in an up-and-coming neighborhood, called the Noma (north of Mass. Ave) in east DC. The neighborhood used to be a terrible, dangerous place, but in recent years a lot of development has been happening. One of the TWC employees said that 63 billion dollars worth of industry and development is happening now in the neighborhood! And the residents seem to be taking pride in it, since the houses are nearly all freshly painted and the yards are mostly taken care of. ;) Oh, and across the street is another brand new apartment building that rents our for at least $4,000 a month, for a 1 bedroom apartment. Talk about a nice neighborhood!

The nearest metro stop is only 2 1/2 blocks away, on the same line as the stop for my internship. There are 5 metro lines in DC, and it's nice not to have to switch in the morning rush! A grocery store is 8 blocks away, but a shuttle through TWC goes there, the metro station, and my building starting at 6 am until like 11pm, every 10-20 minutes during the rush hours. It's a nice deal!

I have 3 amazing roommates. One is from Connecticut, one from Texas, and one from Belgium. Our apartment is 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, with a living room, dining area, and beautiful kitchen. We also have our own washer and dryer. Living in an apartment is kinda weird, after dorm living for 3 years. But I really am enjoying it, and I'm not sure how I can return to Central's dorms next semester! I'm feeling very self sufficient. I have to do all my grocery shopping and make all my own food, which is exciting! Again...how can I return to Central Market?

I start my internship on Tuesday, and finish up orientation stuff tomorrow. And a nice 3 day weekend to enjoy the city and finish settling in!

Well, this is a sufficiently long post. I will post pictures of my apartment during the weekend, and some pictures around DC, once I take them.

Adios!
-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment