Today I had a meeting up on Capitol Hill with Senator Harkin. The Washington Center incorporates a meeting with a local senator or representative as part of our programming, and a group of 3 other Iowans and I had the chance to meeting with him today. We were told to prepare questions and topics to talk about with him, and that our group would have around 30 minutes to talk with him.
Sounds great, right? Well, the story didn't quite roll out like that. First of all, TWC had us signed up to go to a constituent breakfast. When we arrived, we saw a huge line. Apparently around 50 people were also there. We were able to talk to some of his aides, who were very nice and knowledgeable. I even had the chance to do some good networking. One guy asked what I planned to do after I graduated, and I told him I wasn't sure but asked if he was hiring. :) I got his business card and he told me he might have some jobs opening up.
However, our chat with the actual Senator Harkin was short-lived. We were one of the last groups he talked with, and all he asked was our names and our internships, then talked a bit to the 1 guy in the group about his internship. So we didn't get to talk to him about anything of importance.
Overall it was a good experience, just not the experience we were told to expect. Oh well! You live and you learn!
-Jen
No comments:
Post a Comment