This has been a busy first weekend in DC! On Saturday I decided to check out the neighborhood near my internship. I planned on taking the metro down there, to time out the commute and find my way around. However, in orientation we were advised to know an alternate way back to our apartment, in case the metro ever shuts down (emergency, basically not something that we want to happen...) So my roommate, another girl, and I decided to check out the Circulator bus system. It's one of the bus systems in the metro area, and it runs on big loops. One runs from Union Station (a few blocks away) clear to Georgetown, and by my internship. It only took about 15 minutes to get there, plus a 5 minute walk. The neighborhood of my internship is very nice, and I can't wait to start working!
I then hopped back on the bus and went to Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's is a grocery chain that specializes in natural, organic, local, or "green" foods. I bought a good deal of food for the week, and took the bus back. Overall it was a nice trip, and now I know an alternative mode of transit to my internship.
Today, one of my roommates and I went to a church in the neighborhood. It was a long walk, about a mile, but the weather was beautiful and took us clear into the Capitol Hill neighborhood. The service was nice, and they had a lunch for college students and interns. It was nice to meet some more people my age!
Then my roomie and I went downtown and got some cupcakes at a shop called Hello Cupcake. They were good, but not near as delicious as the cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcakes last week! Then we stopped by a Whole Foods store, which is a lot like Trader Joe's.
Now I am settling in for a nice night at the apartment. My poor legs are tired after all that walking, but it was fun to explore a bit!
-Jen
No comments:
Post a Comment