This week has been pretty busy at work, and has truly flown by! My supervisor was gone Wed, Thurs, and Fri, and we are in the midst of preparing for the Summit coming in less than 2 weeks. Eek! So I've been contacting people left and right, getting bios, logos, hotel confirmations, etc. And we are starting to prepare in earnest for the college workshop in November, so the past day or so I've been contacting students and helping them to arrange flights, among answering all their questions. All of this with my supervisor in California! With the time difference and her schedule, if I had questions I had to be resourceful or wait! :) But over all, it's been a successful week, although I am TIRED!
On Monday we had Career Boot Camp. Sounds impressive-not. They had a speaker (who was so-so) and then we went to 2 sessions. I went to one on Peace Corps (which I'm strongly thinking of doing) and one on making a profit in non-profit. I actually scheduled an informational interview with the guy who did the non-profit one. That means I'll go and talk with him about his job, and how he got their, and more about the company. Just a bit of networking and finding out more about an organization. I'm excited!
The bus rides are always interesting...the benefit of being on the bus versus the Metro is that I can see what's going on. And I like to people watch. I've got the route pretty well memorized now, so I just have to glance up every now and them if I am reading. Or if the police are doing a drug bust in the park on the side of the street. Sirens are noisy, and so are motorcades! There are a TON of noisy, fast motorcades in DC. And it's always fun to see how a person reacts when you sit in the empty seat next to them. A common occurrence in DC, but it's interesting how many people don't like it. Some people don't pay you any attention, some just gather their stuff up when it's sprawled over the seat, some act surprise when you ask them to move their stuff, and some are overly polite and try to make sure nothing of theirs touches you at any point. And some remain asleep.
We've had some interesting weather this week. Well, interesting tropical storm remnants! Thursday was super rainy, and today was crazy windy and chilly. I had to go to a meeting at the Washington Center today (free pizza-yay!) and I was nearly blown over a few times. But it was nice to get out and see what the streets are like during the lunch time period. I don't go out for lunch, as I pack my own, and people are much nicer during lunch than they are in the morning!
I will get to attend the TWC Gala on Monday. This is a pretty big deal, and I'm excited about it! Only 30 students (out of 450ish) are invited, and we'll get to talk to and network with a lot of important people. It's black tie optional, but everyone will be wearing some fancy duds. I have a nice black dress I brought with me that I'm going to wear, along with my (fake) pearl necklace. I'm excited for the chance to use my networking and dining etiquette skills that I've learned the past few years. Don't get me wrong, it's a bit stressful too. The Gala is a fundraising event, so us students are there partially to talk with the donors and show them how beneficial the program is. However, it's also a chance for me to make some important contacts. We do also have to help seat people and other such tasks, but hey, it's an amazing opportunity!
I've thought of many things this week that I should blog about, but lo and behold I have forgotten them. I shall have to write them down in the future...
-Jen
No comments:
Post a Comment