Saturday, October 9, 2010

Meeting El Presidente and Volunteering

Did I trick you with this title? :) No, I didn't meet President Obama this week, but I did meet former Presidente de Mexico Vicente Fox!! I love DC, did I mention that?

Through TWC this week I had the chance to meet the former President of Mexico Vicente Fox, who served from 2000 to 20006 (Mexico has 6 year terms). It was pretty neat! He came to TWC and the students from Mexico plus a few others were invited to come. Being in the Ford Global Scholars Program means that I got an offer to go! And of course I responded quickly and managed to secure a spot. President Fox spoke about his program in Mexico, the importance of education, and about leadership. It was really neat, and although her apologized for his poor English, it was nearly impeccable! And we gathered for a picture and afterwords I managed to shake his hand. He didn't stay long, but it was a neat experience!

On another note, I completed stage 1 of my civic engagement project which is a requirement of TWC. My roommate Karlijn and I went to a place called Prevention Works DC, which works with HIV/AIDS prevention/treatment and aids drug uses by providing clean equipment and detox/rehab if they want to go. It's proven that programs like this have a very positive impact on the community of drug uses because it gives them the support they need. I helped to make wound care kits, which they distribute free to people suffering from drug-related wounds. It also had cookers and filter for them to use with their drugs. Kind of odd work for me to get involved in, but it's proven that these programs reduce the rates of drug use. It provides users the opportunity to get help if they want it. Or at least provides them safe equipment so they can be healthier. The rate of HIV infection is 1 in 20 people in DC, which is crazy high! Thus I thought it would be interesting to be involved in an HIV related project since the problem is so serious here.

Now I must write my paper for Model UN. Ugh...good thing it's half done!

No comments:

Post a Comment