In lieu of studying for a test, I shall post again!
Yesterday I went to the National Zoo. The great thing about Washington DC is that many attractions are free, including the Zoo. Great for a poor college student's budget! :)
All three of my roommates had visitors this weekend (sigh....nobody visits me) and they all had plans to do stuff with their friends. So I decided I would visit the Zoo by myself. It was actually pretty nice. The weather was beautiful, and I went early on in the day, so not a whole lot of people were there. I saw Giant Pandas, Lions, Fishing Cats (they dive into water), crazy apes, tigers, bears...oh my! ;)
The only problem was...the Zoo is built on a hill. Now, I did not initially realize this. Since they are doing construction on parts of the Zoo, some of the paths were closed off. So I walked all the way from one side of the Zoo to another, then realized I had to walk back the way I came...all 8/10 of a mile. Then I realized I was at the bottom of a HUGE hill. So I trudged up the hill and grabbed some lunch and rode the Metro back to my apartment, where I promptly took a nap. I was exhausted!
To get to the Zoo, the Metro stop is the Woodly Park/Zoo stop, which hosts the 3rd longest continuous escalator in DC, which is 204 feet long. It's a long ride. Oddly enough, that station uses THREE escalators to get you to the surface-it's really deep. Actually, DC hosts the longest escalator in the Western Hemisphere, at the Wheaton Station. And yes, I plan to visit that station at some point. If you are ever on a game show and that question is asked, you owe me dinner or something. :D
Jen
No comments:
Post a Comment