Well, I have survived my test, which I had Monday night. I have no clue when I'll get my grade, but I feel I did pretty well. I ended up hand-writing 6 pages...man did my hand hurt afterwords!
I've decided to chronicle a few odd things and funny anecdotes that I've seen since coming to DC. Enjoy!
1. Pigeons will hit you in the face. So you best duck out of their way, because they won't move out of yours. That wasn't a pleasant experience.
2. People are typically somewhat friendly on the bus.
3. Someone will always smell on public transportation. You just get used to it.
4. Don't tell a longtime DC resident that you can't parallel park. They will laugh and think you are joking.
5. The city of DC is a sissy when it comes to weather. If it's not beautiful and sunny out, expect a much longer bus ride. Even if it's just raining.
6. Drivers like to use their horns.
7. 911 vehicles do not seem to have courtesy hours. They will blare at all times of the night.
8. Bikers are brave.
9. Grocery shopping is not fun when you have to carry it back to your apartment. And you don't realize how much you have purchased until you're halfway home.
10. You cannot get tired of seeing the Capitol, the White House, the Washington Monument, or any other monuments while riding around the city.
11. Parking prices are insane. As such, people who own cars are insane. ;)
12. Tourists stick out like a sore thumb, even those who are trying to blend in. How? They are the only ones wearing jeans in DC because everyone who lives here dresses nicely, even on weekends.
13. Don't breathe too deeply. Random sewer smells frequently overtake you as you walk along the sidewalk.
14. Drivers are pretty courteous to pedestrians. But if you do cross at the wrong time, expect to get honked at.
15. Nobody says pop (for soda) here. Weirdos.
16. Nobody who lives in DC grew up here. Everyone who lives/works here has moved from somewhere else.
17. The Metro runs above ground in some areas. FYI. It feels odd when you come above ground though.
18. The National Mall is HUGE. You do not realize this until you start to walk it, then reality sets in. :)
19. The sidewalks here are well equipped to make one fall. Fall count-4 times.
20. The weather here is freakishly warm. It was a high of 78 today!
If I think of any others, I'll post them in another post.
Jen
No comments:
Post a Comment