Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Riding The Rails

(This was written a few days ago on the train.)

I’m sitting in the nice, sunny lounge car of the train now, watching endless fields of corn glide by. Traveling by train is incredibly comfortable, but it does take awhile to get your “train legs.” However, the ride is very smooth, and will easily lull me into a deep sleep tonight. The seats are huge, and spread very far apart. I know I’m short, but my feet barely reach to the seat in front of me! And they are very comfortable. We didn’t get a sleeper car, but I suspect Mom and I shall sleep well tonight.

Our train has a dining car, for formal dinners, and a café car. The café car sells snacks, food, and beverages (including the eco-friendly Green Mountain Coffee-YUM!). It also has seats facing the windows on the upper level, which are really comfy. There are booths there as well. The best part of the café car is that there are observations windows that stretch up onto the ceiling. It’s a pretty sweet place to hang out, although finding a seat took awhile!

I honestly don’t know if I can handle air travel again. Trains take awhile, but it is so comfortable and stress-free. And the people are nice, which is a big plus. I know for sure that I am taking the train home in December. It’s so peaceful!

However, if you’ve never been on a train before- be warned! When an oncoming train passes on the track next to you (especially if you have a window seat), it’s a little frightening. Before Mom and I were out of Ottumwa we nearly died of fright when a freight train zoomed past us! Another lesson learned…

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment